Week of 4/14

This past week was casually productive, but it has set the stage for me to really kick it into high gear this week. On Wednesday, I indexed for Ally while she interviewed Denise Fleck at her B&B on Richmond Road. It was interesting to see some of the same issues with development and zoning appear in her interview that could make their way into my final paper as well. The overlap/interconnectedness of the issues was kind of cool to note.

On Thursday, I interviewed Subject X in Swem with Andrea as my indexer. While I still obtained a lot of useful information on recording about his life and the workings of the city (planning commission), he divulged a lot less once the record button was pressed. In our informational interview a week prior, he was very forthcoming about both the good and the bad of Williamsburg, the city council, the three-person rule, etc. but this time he was much more of a booster. He also used more academic terms and careful phrasing. Only by reading between the lines and referring back to last week’s interview was I able to fully understand and contextualize what he was saying. I suppose his sensitive position on the council may have influenced him on that, but it was a little awkward nevertheless.

I also interview Stewart Goddin tomorrow. I also began outlining my paper this week; this is the hardest part of writing for me, just putting everything in place. A little more secondary research and I should be good to go with it.

2 Responses to “Week of 4/14”

1. 1 amhiponia April 21, 2014 at 2:31 am

You’re totally right about people’s hesitancy to speak openly on-the-record. I think it’s a little frustrating, but still helpful to see how these individuals might represent something equally important about their relationship to the city, etc. I’m glad you made lots of progress though and that you’re actively outlining for your report!

2. 2 loetta April 21, 2014 at 8:45 am

You’re Chris Connolly interview seems quite interesting. It seems with your sensitive topic that many people are not forthcoming when they are in a certain position. Do you think you are finding ways to address those things with them? How do you make them more forthcoming especially when you spoke with them prior to receiving the oral history?