3/28 Work Summary

This week could have been a little more productive with regards to the project. There were several other deadlines looming for job applications and papers for other classes, and I ended up not having enough time to spread around equally. This is going to be another challenge moving into the last parts of the semester; finding a job after graduation is paramount, and every class is starting up its own final project also. Time will crunch, and I just need to dedicate a lot of it to this project. Hopefully, since I got a lot of other work done this week, next week will be more productive.

I did get a start on scheduling interviews, though. Fred Boelt responded again to my email, and I will interview him next Thursday at his home. Kari (and several others) were kind enough to offer to index as well. The students I plan on interviewing all had sort of a “hell week” this week, so I will schedule their interviews this coming weekend and hopefully interview them within the next week as well.

I also got some reading done with regards to the Focus Group of 2008-2009. There are massive amounts of material to read through, so getting through it all will take some time, but I learned a lot about its focus and goals. As somewhat implied by the boundaries of their study, the Focus Group was specifically interested in the relations between the College and the city within the broader issue of off-campus housing. This means I’ll have to rely on secondary research more to talk about the three-person rule and zoning, ordinances, etc. more broadly.

2 Responses to “3/28 Work Summary”

1. 1 mal2013 March 29, 2014 at 9:49 am

Perhaps you should take some time this weekend to revise your research schedule, keeping in mind the other obligations and deadlines you have. Are you also looking for other landlords and non-student renters to interview?

2. 2 acalvarez March 31, 2014 at 12:04 am

Ryan, I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of being a Senior. Research can be extremely time consuming and finding times to interview is increasingly becoming more difficult. I have recently started my own job that I will continue after graduation and if I am not at class, I am at work, which will prove to be a struggle.

I am very interested to see the results of your focus group, and think it would be even more interesting to bring those findings to your contacts within the Williamsburg Planning Office. I would be interested to hear about their response to these qualms students may have.