3/27 Work Journal Summary

This week has been a little bit frustrating. First, I am having a bit of a hard time getting in contact with some people and places. I am fighting an internal battle of feeling like I am being too persistent and then realize that it is apart of the research and assignment. I am going to have to get on a phone and dedicate a little more time this week to really cementing down potential interviews.

I also reached out to the Williamsburg City Planning Office in regards to the moving of the gift shop to its current location. I have been in contact with Carolyn and we were chatting about records on file at the office. The first record was a permit for destruction that was issued in 1964 and the next one was for 1975 for reroofing. Originally when I saw these date, they did not seem to add up with what I had discovered. After further conversation, I realized that Carolyn was providing me with information of the temple’s current location property and not of its original location. Although I was looking for more information regarding the movement of the structure, this information will be helpful in pursuing my project. She told me that she has records for 1 1978 alteration, a 1989 addition, and a 2007 addition. I am planning on visiting the office to take a look and take pictures of these documents. These will prove helpful when I talk to members of the temple, and figuring out what additions were made and why they were.

2 Responses to “3/27 Work Journal Summary”

1. 1 mal2013 March 30, 2014 at 2:44 pm

It sounds like you might have to contact Colonial Williamsburg for records pertaining to the building’s history before it’s move to Jamestown Road. You could start by contact the Rockefeller Library and simply ask about the records kept for each building. Use the archaeological report you found to help you describe to the librarians the exact building you mean.

Yes, it can be frustrating to woo potential interviewees. Does the temple have upcoming events open to the public that you could attend and speak to congregants face to face?

2. 2 Kari Jolly March 30, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I know exactly how what you mean when you state you are having an “internal battle” when it comes to walking the line between ‘persistent’ and ‘annoying’. I had what I thought was probably a decent lead on an interview candidate, but the primary contact for that candidate would just not contact me of his own accord. Although he was very cordial when I called him, he was also very noncommittal. The primary contact was also a referral from another source, who did meet with me and provide me with valuable advice and guidance. I did not want to jeopardize his relationship with this contact by being a pest, so I backed off this week. I sometimes question if I made the right decision, but ultimately I think that to err on the side of caution was the right thing to do.