3/16-3/21 Journal Summary

To prepare for the Master Name List due on Monday, I’ve been spending most of this week acquiring potential contacts for interviews, both informational and oral history.  The compilation of these contacts took place over several days, working a little bit on it each day. Prof. Lelievre forwarded me Fred Boelt’s contact info, which should be pretty useful. With that and the cooperation of the girls living in Fred’s childhood home now, I think 331 Richmond Road could be made into a kind of case study both about the three-person rule and the changing face of Williamsburg over time. I’ve also made contact with/received the contact information for a wide array of students. Most are people I have known previously. Some live off-campus now, both adhering to and violating the rule. Some plan to move off-campus and violate the rule next year. I also got my friend who serves on the Student Assembly to give me the names of people in that organization who deal with the City on town-gown relations and the three-person rule specifically. Some serve on the City Council and the Planning Commission, which could be an interesting intersection of interests.

I also met with Kate on Monday to discuss the final goal of my project. She was helpful in suggesting some different directions I could go with the paper and also advising me on how to complete a project of this magnitude properly.

This weekend, I will complete the Master Name List and do some more secondary research about zoning laws, ordinances, and restrictions.

1 Response to “3/16-3/21 Journal Summary”

1. 1 mal2013 March 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Sounds like you’re making good progress. If you haven’t already, you should start looking into finding other landlords and, ideally, landlords who don’t just rent to William and Mary students. Kate also suggested talking to homeowners in the neighbourhoods where there are rental units. How do these homeowners feel about students and others renting in their neighbourhoods? Finally, can you find non-students who violate the three-person rule and would be willing to discuss it?