Map Diary

Jackie Vasquez

Williamsburg Documentary Project

Map Diary Assignment #4

March 19, 2013

Map Diary of Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 was somewhat of a special day for me and not very telling of my day-to-day activities. By seven o’clock on Wednesday it had felt like three days had gone by. After going back through my day, it was interesting to see how many places I went. I realized that on this day, I pretty much spent most of my time off campus as opposed to on. The only places I went during the day were the College Apartments and Swem Library for meetings with professors and classmates.

Last week was the Sigma Chi philanthropy event of Derby Days, so from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning I was at a celebration after the banner competition between the different sororities. I arrived home around 2:50 AM to the “Banana Palace”, which is the nickname for the yellow house I live in on Griffin Avenue. Of course, this is not a normal Tuesday night/Wednesday morning activity and not much of an example for my day-to-day life.

When examining my daily activities, I realized I spend a majority of my day (at least last Wednesday) in my car. I have had my car on campus since freshman year, and thinking about how often I drive places as opposed to walking makes me wonder how much money I have spent on gas. This even makes me think about how much money I can save if I spend less time in my car. This would not only save me money, but I’d probably get to hang around campus more often.

I realized that in the beginning of our semester we discussed about what Williamsburg meant to us. And although I said my experiences had been broadened since I’ve always had a car, it seems that over the years my Williamsburg barely includes the William and Mary Campus. On a regular day, the majority of my time on campus is either spent in the college apartments or at the recreation center. Of course I always end up at Swem most days, I still don’t really spend that much time on campus.

This map diary has ended up being a reflection of my time here at the school this year. As I have gotten older, picked a major, and gotten more comfortable here, my Williamsburg has become smaller and smaller. Freshman year I had classes in Morton, Blow, Tyler, and I didn’t even know what the College Apartments were. However now that I am in the American Studies department, my personal radius of the places I go on campus has gotten smaller and smaller. This makes me think that I should take more advantage of what this school and town has to offer. I should take a trek into Colonial Williamsburg more, or take advantage of the really nice study rooms in Miller.

I think after doing this project, I am going to keep track of the places I go on an everyday basis and try to go somewhere different. If I usually study at swem, maybe I will try for Aromas instead. If my friends and I always go to Chipotle on Richmond Road for lunch maybe we’ll not try to avoid all of the tourists and go to the Cheese Shop. Especially since I am a junior and my second to last Spring in Williamsburg is coming up, I think this map diary has helped me get out of a staying off-campus funk.