Updated Proposal

Quite a lot of time has passed since my last proposal and with that time I have been able to mold my research into a better topic. In my original proposal I stated that I wanted to connect the history of recreational sports as well as their impact within the the city of Williamsburg. After talking things over with Prof. Sarah Glosson I realized that that may not be the best route to choose. This research is suppose to be informative so that people years in the future are able to read it. With that in mind I have decided to document personal accounts of athletic events that took place in Williamsburg and solely focus on what happened rather than their siginificance to the community.

First, with the help of some research librarians over at Swem, I was able to research and locate different events that took place in regards to Williamsburg. Of the many things I found I decided that I wanted to focus on three in particular with the first being the Cal Ripken World Series which was held in Williamsburg in 2002. This event invited teams from all over the United States to play in a tournament to determine who had the best 12 year old travel baseball team in the country. As one can imagine this was a very large event. It just so happens that one of my teammates on the baseball team here at WM played on one of those teams. I plan to interview him and elaborate on his eyewitness account of the series.

Next, I learned of a soccer camp by the name of Tidewater Soccer Camp. This camp was started in the late 70’s early 80’s by Al Albert, who at the time was the men’s head soccer coach at the College. This camp ranged from youth groups of all types. In a nutshell, the camp was a week long and campers would live in campus housing and enjoy the many thrills that came along with a traditional summer camp, it just so happened that they played soccer throughout the day as well. Although I am not sure how to get in contact with Mr. Albert, his assistant in that camp is fittingly the women’s head soccer coach here at the College now. I plan to get in touch with him for his account of what took place.

Lastly, I have been working with Prof. Sarah Glosson on a third person to interview. I am hoping to find someone that can give me an account of the WISC. I would like to document how it was built, why it was necessary, etc. I think that it would be a very nice addition to the documenting of Williamsburg.