ACA and Williamsburg – Updated Project Proposal

I will explore the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Williamsburg. I am interested in learning about both the perception of federal health care reform in 2009 and the reception of federal health care reform today, in 2013.

I will evaluate the 2009 perception of national health care reform through my investigation of three local media sources: the Daily Press, the Virginia Gazette, and the WY Daily. When I interview individuals for my paper, I will also ask them to think back to 2009 and what they thought about the need for health care reform when President Obama first took office.

I will also look at those three media sources for information about contemporary attitudes towards the ACA. When I interview individuals for this project, I will ask them about their views of the legislation today.

It is possible that, eventually, I will focus on just one of these aspects of Williamsburg’s perspective of health care reform. For now, I want to keep my topic a bid broad so I have more options to work with rather than fewer.

I outlined below my three main sources: the media, politicians, and physicians. For the media aspect of my project, I am working with Martha Higgins at Swem to figure out the best, most efficient way to cull through these newspapers. I will meet with her after spring break to discuss a final plan of action. I received the names of the following political players from Prof. John McGlennon of the Government Department provided me with the names of these individuals. I will contact these individuals the week after spring break and mention him because he is my mutual acquaintance. Finally, for the physicians, Lance Pedigo and Sarah Glosson provided me with Dr. Schultz and Ms. Butler’s information. Clay Riley told me about Dr. Brown. When I call their offices to make appointments to meet with them, I will mention Pedigo, Glosson, and Riley.

I look forward to completing these interviews in March. I hope that together, these three groups – the media, politicians, and doctors – will present a complete and clear picture of Williamsburg’s perception and reception of the Affordable Care Act.

Here are my various primary sources:

Media

Daily Press

Virginia Gazette

WY Daily

Politics

Judy Knudson – City Councilwoman; former executive director of Olde Towne Medical Clinic

Jen Tierney – James City County Democrats; wife of Prof. Mike Tierney

Amanda Etter Johnston – James City County Republicans

Physicians

Dr. Roger Schultz – Urology

Alison Butler – Nurse Practitioner and wife of Dr. Roger Schultz

Dr. Joseph Brown III – Family Practice; long time Williamsburg resident