Assignment 3- Transcript Review

Doing a transcription is a much longer, and much more tedious process than I thought it would be. I figured it was going to be a piece of cake just writing down what someone was talking about, considering I do that in class all the time. However I didn’t realize that when you must write down verbatim what the person is saying, how many times you have to go back and forth on the recording. Another thing I had difficulty with was when there was background noise, or laughter, whether to include it in the transcription or not. In the end I did include it, as well as writing that things were indecipherable when I was unable to tell what was said, no matter how many times I listened to it. When adding in punctuation, I thought about it how when I’m writing a paper. I think out the words, and when natural pauses come I write in the punctuation.

I believe Professor Knight did a great job interviewing. All of the questions he asked during this portion of the interview were answered with stories from Clay Riley, even if the answer to the question was no. Professor Knight was also very engaged with Clay Riley when they were talking. Riley obviously was comfortable speaking to Professor Knight and was even making little jokes. I know when we’re interviewing strangers from around Williamsburg we won’t immediately be able to talk to them like this, but I think it will really help the quality of the oral history if we develop a report with them.

1 Response to “Assignment 3- Transcript Review”

1. 1 sgglos March 11, 2013 at 7:26 am

What are some of the ways that you solved the problems of transcribing? How did you come to decisions on how to handle the difficult and unexpected bits? What methods will you turn to in future? And most importantly, what do you feel is at stake when you translate someone’s spoken words into print?