Assignment 3 Reflection

The biggest challenge I had in completing the transcription was when the interviewer and interviewee would talk over each other and make parts of the discussion inaudible. I noted where I simply could not tell what was being said. It didn’t happen but a couple of time I couldn’t make out what was said.  At other times, I was able to understand the discussion and had to decide how to translate it so that it would be understood that they were both speaking. I did this by entering and leaving continuing conversations with dashes, in order to show their connection, generally interrupted by an exchange in between.  I used dots, ellipses, to show pauses in thought or a sort of “trailing off” by the speaker. In one case I actually noted the pause, due to the length.

The interviewing style was conversational and seemed to assist in putting the interviewee at ease and make him more conversational himself. It was done very relaxed in almost an “over coffee” kind of exchange and was easy to listen to, like storytelling. I think that worked well in this instance because it allowed the interviewee to elaborate on little things he remembered. Mostly, the interviewer guided the conversation but let the person just talk. Like we talked about in class, Prof. Knight was able to be in the moment and analyze when to add dialogue and when to simply listen to the silence.

1 Response to “Assignment 3 Reflection”

1. 1 sgglos March 11, 2013 at 8:45 am

What do you think are the major considerations when transcribing someone’s words to the page? What are the dangers, do you think? Is there a benefit to transcribing? How did you deal with punctuation? Did you find a method that worked for you?