Journal Entry 6

What a difference a week makes! Last week, I only had one interview and by the end of this week, I will have four!

To elaborate, I contacted the leads that Will Molineux gave me and I got answers from two of them. One is Jim Gilley who is a member and treasurer of the Pulaski Club and has had family in the club for generations. The other is Mel Jones who is the president of the Middle Plantation.

I also went to the Pulaski Club meeting on Thursday and it was an extremely fun experience. David went with me and we sat on the benches for around fifteen or twenty minutes before the club members started showing up. At first, it seemed like only a few members were going to come, but over the course of two hours, between ten and fifteen members showed up! I talked to a couple of them who gave me some great information about the club and heard some funny stories about politicians and William and Mary in the past. I also met Rodney Taylor who I’m going to interview this week. He’s a member of both the Pulaski Club and the Middle Plantation Club and seems like he’ll be a great resource for my project.

I’m really pleased with the collection of people that I’m interviewing. It’s a perfect balance of club members with one person only being in the Pulaski Club, one person only being in the Middle Plantation Club, and two people being in both. In the end, the number of interviews is not too overwhelming, but these four men will provide a great range of beneficial information.

I also did some secondary research and looked at some more books about the history and psychology behind fraternal organizations. They’ve had an interesting history, especially since the Civil War which will be exciting to document in my paper.