Journal 6 – 4/23

Okay – I am officially in panic mode.  It is my final semester and I am anxious about not getting all my projects completed on time.  Case in point, this final journal entry is late!  I have been absorbed for the past three days with reading, research, and writing for three classes – oh, yes, and transcribing – the bane of my existence because it is enormously time consuming.  That alone is nearly the death of me this past week.  But, so as not to bore you further with my anxieties let me progress to posting about last week’s activities for WDP.

On Tuesday Laura Murray very patiently indexed for me during my last interview with Lorraine Rogers of Norge, Virginia.  We spoke for 90 minutes and she was a wealth of information about the Pottery Factory and life around Williamsburg during the 1930s and 1940s.  Mrs. Rogers is 92 years old and is considered on of the S.H.A.R.P. programs success stories for aging-in.  Her memory for detail is astounding.   She could recall when Rev. Godwin of Bruton Parish was instrumental in getting the Governor’s Palace project started.  Although she was not a member of that church, as she is a devout Lutheran, but she was living nearby in Norge with her husband at the time.

Another interesting detail is that her family owned the farm on which the Pottery Factory is built.  When her children were young she even worked there for some time as a supervisor in one of the departments, and her home was located on an adjacent parcel to the property.  I appreciated interviewing someone who has such deep roots in the area.

Before I went on that interview I met with an earlier interviewee to revise an addendum over coffee.  We met Aroma’s and caught up on her plans for making a local move in the near future.  This will be an update in my final report since it reflects a change that is more consistent with her desired living arrangements during retirement.

This coming week I hope to meet with a director for either the Peninsula Agency on Aging or the Center for Excellence in Aging since these agencies offer a broader range of support programs to seniors than the two smaller local agencies I met with earlier.  I am so impressed with the senior support services available to qualified residents of James City County and Williamsburg that I am seriously considering moving my mom from assisted living to James City County.  The JCC health services department alone is an asset not only to seniors, but to the community at large who need it.

If I can just make it through this transcription I will feel better, because I need to organize and begin writing my final report by the weekend – one can always hope!