Journal Entry 5

Last night I discovered an extremely interesting element in my project topic. I was reading one of my secondary sources, Service Clubs in American Society, which had an interesting chapter on the decline of fraternal organizations in response to the rise of service and civic clubs. After reading more about the history of the Masons and the Knights of Columbus, I realized that most fraternal organizations nowadays have more of a focus on service than social events and fellowship. One of the Knights of Columbus newsletter has a full page on all of the community organizations to which they contribute. The Pulaski Club and the Middle Plantation club are unique in that respect since they only focus on social events, discussion, and education and do little to no service. This aspect could be interesting to look at these two clubs as some of the last bastions of the traditional mens social organization in a world of declining membership and the rise of service organizations. However, this subject is moving slowly away from retirement so I’ll have to find a way to combine the two.

In other news, I had my interview with Will Molineux last week. It was extremely helpful and he gave me a lot of information about his beliefs about the club and what they do as an organization. Despite its length, I’ll probably end up transcribing this interview since it gave so much valuable information. He also gave me a local history book and a list of names to contact for other oral histories. I also indexed for Laela’s interview with Margaret Sequiera.

I’m starting to realize that this project is coming down to the wire and it’s going to be a stressful last couple of weeks trying to squeeze in interviews. Hopefully it will all come out to something amazing in the end!