Journal 2 – 3/26

Last week was extremely busy with research and presentations for another class so my time with WDP focused primarily on interview preparations for Thursday.  I formulated questions and conducted two interviews which went well.  I have a follow-up interview with Mr. and Mrs. Zadan set for this coming Thursday.

The interviews were great and I thank Heather and Laura M. for assisting me as indexers.  My first interview on Thursday was with the Zadans and I realized that interviewing a couple requires more than an hour and some sensitivity toward “balancing” an interview to allow each person to have input.  I have scheduled an additonal interview for this coming Thursday, March 29th to complete my questions with them.  Later that day I interviewed Ms. Crowell which went very well.  I learned not only about her situation as a retiree, but some important information about working opportunities and conditions for women in the 1970s and 1980s.  Very interesting stuff!

On Sunday March 25th, I received a welcomed phone call from Mr. Juraschek.  I was beginning to wonder if he had received my email from March 14th and had about given up when he telephoned.  We had a lengthy chat about his retirement experience and his work in establishing a senior network at Ford’s Colony.  He also provided me valuable leads to help with my research and confirmed some of my information on local contacts.  During our conversation he directed me in real time to the Ford’s Colony website and shared how to navigate the site.  I saw how the website is lain out and includes information tailored to seniors in the community.  It is quite impressive and has a list of “validated” services from the Peninsula Aging and Disability Resource Network (PADRN) which is updated annually.  The PADRN is useful to any Peninsula resident, of course, but what makes it wonderful here is that the Ford’s Colony Homeowner’s Association has integrated the information into their website making it a particularly user friendly resource for its residents.  The breakdown of my week follows:

Monday, March 19th – Formulated interview questions; sent interview confirmation emails.

Tuesday, March 20th – Finalized questions.

Wednesday, March 21st – Sent interview questions to Professor Glosson for review.

Thursday, March 22nd – Interviewed Mr. and Mrs. Zadan and Ms. Crowell in two separate interviews.

Friday, March 23rd – Scheduled follow-up interview with the Zadans for March 29th at 11:15 am at College Apartments.

Saturday, March 24th – Read and printed out article from March 23rd Washington Post on aging Americans forwarded by Ms. Crowell and pulled October 2011 Boomers Survey conducted by Knowledge Networks.

Sunday, March 25th – Phone conversation with Mr. Juraschek

Looking forward to talking with senior support services agencies and my follow-up interview with Mr. and Mrs. Zadan.  Will send additional emails to new contacts from Mr. Juraschek requesting information or interview.