Journal #1

Professor Glosson made the suggestion for me to base my overall research question on institutional support.  A question from my initial proposal that will be important to think about and to ask interviewees is: What are the supportive institutions such as local churches, cultural outlets and the College and how do they respond to LGBT issues within the retirement communities? Thinking about the broad institutional impact on LGBTQ retirees and how Williamsburg addresses discrimination and intolerant attitudes through these institutions.

Over the weekend, I began to think about interview questions for a formal interview with Leisa Meyer.  I also spoke to some friends about other potential contacts from W&M, including Sue Peterson and Maureen Fitzgerald.  I plan to conduct my first interview with Professor Meyer since she’s so knowledgeable about LGBT issues.  I have no doubt that she will provide me with invaluable advice and direction as this project takes shape. Tomorrow I will be confirming a time with her.

I will continue to read the scholarly sources in my bibliography and keep up to date on news articles pertaining to the issue of LGBT retirement.