Brief transcript review

I have to say that, unlike Will, I am not a fan of transcribing. Moreover, I discovered that it’s important to conduct the process in a private, secluded space; attempting to transcribe on the first floor of Swem or any public place where you might see someone you know (which is almost everywhere in Williamsburg) is a bad idea.  I can’t tell you how many times I was interrupted, which is a reason why it took me a bit longer than most to complete the assignment. Regardless of the interruptions, I found the recording to be of good quality with most of the words and ideas discernible and clear. I didn’t familiarize myself with the technology to help with the transcription for this interview since it was fairly short (approximately 11 minutes), but I definitely intend on using it for the upcoming peer interview and for the project.  I imagine the software would have made the process less time-consuming as I had to continually start and restart segments where the narrator spoke too quickly, or when I was debating on whether or not to include a comma or ellipsis. There was a time in the interview where I didn’t feel it necessary to include parts, like at the end of the interview when the narrator gave a full back and forth dialogue that almost said the same thing over and over again. Still, I included the full dialogue.  The only time that I was unable to transcribe the words was at the end of the interview when a phone call cut off the narrator’s dialogue and the voice of the interviewee was masked by the sound of the ringing phone.

2 Responses to “Brief transcript review”

1. 1 dcpratt March 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Good. The question of what small “parts” are necessary to include, or not, seems to me a key one in transcription–one that isn’t going to go away!

2. 2 sgglos March 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

How did you find trying to capture tone and rhythm of speech? Was this a challenge? What sorts of choices did you find yourself making?