Final Weeks & Wrap-up

I can (somewhat) breathe a sigh of relief. My transcription is done! Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike transcribing interviews? It’s much harder than it seems. It is difficult to type as you’re listening to someone speak. We speak incredibly fast, or so it seems. I have also found that I have a tendency to change words around as I type, which is a HUGE no-no. Anyways, I’m just glad I can move on to another facet of my project. I believe that all of my indexes, etc. are complete, so I just need to compile it all, upload the files to Discussion Board, and print hard copies.

In the end, I had a total of 5 interviews (Kimberly Hundley, elementary school teacher; Redell Atkinson, high school student; Suzanne Hart, school counselor; Kristyn Allred, parent and PTA president; Dr. Byron Bishop, middle school principal). I am satisfied with the number of oral histories collected. I also accomplished my original goal, which was to work directly with people actively within the school system. I think that the individuals I chose to interview have provided great insight from a variety of perspectives, which is always beneficial in studies such as the WDP.

Now, I must begin to focus on pulling everything together. My research, my interviews, and my experience will provide the general ‘meat & potatoes’ of the final project. It can be quite intimidating sitting down to type a 20 page report, especially when it will, in a sense, represent an entire community. However, I think (hope) that I am prepared. I look forward to our presentations and seeing what everyone else has come up with!