Research Journal, 4/25

4/19

Today Frank and I interviewed Sharmaine Grove, head of technical education programs in the WJCC school system. She is new to the position and was very hard to pin down for an interview, though perhaps that was due more to her busy schedule than an unwillingness to share what she knows. When we started telling her about the project and oral history, she seemed enthusiastic about what we were doing, and well-familiar with oral history. She has been in the position for a year, so she knows a lot about the different programs that are available within the school system, which is really helpful because most people that I’ve talked to have focused on the programs at New Horizons as the main place that students can go to get technical education classes/ certifications. Dr. Grove was also extremely positive about the school system and the wide variety of classes it offers. She focused heavily on the opportunities for higher education available within these programs, and less on students that do not plan to continue their education.

For most of this week, I was totally occupied with Living Wage activities, so I didn’t do much more Williamsburg Documentary Project work, though I did type up a few transcripts and try to get some of my documents in order that I have to turn in Thursday. But I was involved in the sit-in in President Reveley’s office, which took a huge amount of planning, all of Wednesday while I was there, and then a lot of follow-up in terms of sending out press releases, updating and strategize with allies, and dealing with the code of conduct violations that this school is charging us with. So all in all it was a crazy week, but really exciting!