Journal #6

This week I plan on transcribing my interview with head of Child Nutrition Services and SHIP’s dietician.  I am really happy with that interview and feel we touched on a lot of important points in a short period of time.  I also lined up an interview with a cafeteria manager for Wednesday and will also tour the cafeteria which will give me a great look at exactly how kids are eating these days.

In total, I will have four interviews and a lot of “informal work” from sitting in on a PE class and O’Neill  bike session to reviewing school board footage.  My portfolio will include citizen letters, grants, lunch menus and more.  Overall, I am very happy with my project and feel like I have a lot of information to draw on.

I think following the money was the best advice for my project and really the theme that runs throughout my work.  To provide healthier food for kids involves a lot of financial resources from receiving government subsidies or WHF grants to the students paying at the cafeteria register.  While there is certainly an apparent interest to improve food options, the ability to do so relies on $.  I would also to provide a sort of “meta-commentary” on my project, if you will.  I’d like to look at my role as an interviewer and see my influence on the interviews, selection of data, etc and view my entire project as a subjective narrative that I have pieced together.  I should probably get started soon…