Work Journal 2

Monday March 21st:

I met Patricia Roberts for an interview this morning, which I think went really well. Patricia was really forthcoming and helpful, and I’m so glad I got to meet with her! I also retrieved the files from both Beth Haw’s interview (which I still need to index) and Patricia Roberts’s interview. It was really interesting to hear the differences in point of view between Dr. Roberts and Mrs. Haw, which made me really excited to continue collecting interviews.

Tuesday March 22nd:

Today was a great day in terms of interview contacts. David Gaston replied to my email today confirming that he’d be willing to let me interview him- woohoo! I’m really excited because I wasn’t sure if he’d be willing to speak with me right away or if I’d need more permission to interview him. He also has a very influential role (Director of Specialized Education Services in WJCC) in the WJCC school system, so I can’t wait to hear his views on how special education functions. Leigh Kades also called me back (we keep missing each other) with her email so that we can begin to coordinate an interview times.

Wednesday March 23rd:

Today I confirmed an interview time with Dr. Gaston (next Thursday at 1pm) and I also sent around an email to the class to see if any other students were interesting in coming to the interview with me. Professor Taylor mentioned that Dr. Gaston might be a good contact for other students in class yesterday, so I’m hoping someone else will be able to come. I’m still working on the logistics of how I’ll get to Dr. Gaston’s office since I don’t have a car, but I’m confident it will all work out before next Thursday. I also emailed Leigh Kades back with a list of possible interview times, so hopefully we will be able to coordinate on that. All in all, I’m feeling pretty good about the progression of my project, as I have two interviews down and two coming up in the near future.

Thursday March 24th:

Frank volunteered to index my interview with Dr. Gaston next Thursday, and he has a car, which is great! I also wrote out “Thank You” notes to my two interviewees so far, Beth Haw and Patricia Roberts, and re-read some of the past documentary projects to try to analyze what I need to include for background information in my final paper. I drafted a list of what my paper should include, and started to fill in the gaps in my research to meet these goals. This meant searching through the budget proposal for this year and investigating the Virginia Gazette for stories on the recent controversies surrounding Special Education in WJCC. I still need a lot more research, especially concerning the number of students in Special Education services, but I feel better knowing that I have a direction and realistic plan for my paper.

Friday March 25th:

Today I continued background research for my project, although I’m having trouble finding the specific enrollment information I’m looking for (mainly how many children receive Special Education services in WJCC). Hopefully I will be able to find this in the coming few days and I might enlist the help of Sarah or Jenny in the coming week.

Saturday March 26th:

I was at a club gymnastics meet at UNC-Chapel Hill all day to day, so I didn’t get much WDP work done. Chapel Hill was gorgeous though, and our team did great!

Sunday March 27th:

I finally indexed Beth Haw’s interview today, which I’ve been meaning to do since I conducted the interview at the beginning of the month. Beth had some great things to say, and it was interesting to compare her responses to those of Patricia Roberts, who I interviewed last week.