Research Journal 3/28

3/21

I called the housekeepers who I had talked about who were interested in being interviewed and we planned times to meet to do oral histories! These are my first scheduled oral histories, so I was really excited.

3/22

I made a list of the interview questions I want to use for tomorrow. I decided to ask a couple questions about general background addressing questions of where the interviewee grew up, where they went to school for which years, what they do now, etc. Then I plan to ask questions about their experiences with advice from guidance counselors, parents, and teachers as they approached graduation from high school and tried to make plans to move forward. Then I plan to ask questions about how the interviewee got into the field they are in, how they found the jobs they have, how long they’ve been there, what their experiences have been like, etc.

3/23

I planned to have my first oral history today at 12, but the worker I was going to interview did not show up. I still haven’t been able to get in touch with him, but I’m hoping we’ll be able to reschedule for next week.

3/25

I was supposed to do my second oral history today, but again, the person I was supposed to interview didn’t show up. A little frustrated, I’m continuing to call the two potential interviewees. I also met with Frank and Toby and Professor Taylor today to talk about where we are with our projects. She gave us new contact information for good people to interview or get names of other people from. Frank and I also made a plan to go to Blair High School to try to track down people that know about technical education programs and make some contacts with people on the school side of our project, which is great because I’ve been focusing a lot more time on the piece that involves people who work in Williamsburg and went through the public school system here.