Work Journal 2

This week I worked on trying to contact possible interviewees.  I’m still waiting to hear back from a few people, including some who I had already contacted.  Additionally, I contacted two individuals from the social services departments of Williamsburg and James City County.  Hopefully after the weekend I’ll have heard some good news.

I also browsed the Gazette’s “Last Word” section and decided to post an ad in case anyone is interested in sharing their stories or opinions with me.  I think it’d be interesting to see the community’s perceptions on teen pregnancy in the area and possibly hear some more about personal experiences.

Regarding research, I discovered an organization based in Washington, D.C. called The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.  They have some information and statistics that I think will at least give me a broader view of the issue of teen pregnancy in this country, as well as some things that are being done to decrease it.  Additionally, the site provides both “State and Local” and “Teen Birth/Pregnancy Data” sections that have prevention plans and ideas according to group and community snapshots regarding this issue.   I was also really happy to see resources for and information on teen fathers and the role of men in pregnancy prevention.

Update:

Today I heard back via e-mail from the social service workers I contacted.  I’m just happy someone actually responded!  And in a timely manner!  It was suggested that I contact the school social workers for more information, and also someone who could possibly give me information on the financial resources available to pregnant teens in the area.  I am still waiting to hear back from Ms. W at Grove Christian Outreach Center on setting a date for an interview.  Hopefully that happens very soon.