Work Journal #2, 3/29/2010

Wednesday 3/24/10
Emailed Susannah Livingston to get the contact information for her sister, who worked in a tavern on Colonial Williamsburg; hopefully will hear back from her sometime soon this week.
Finished my “skim” reading on The Diary of a Williamsburg Hostess
Thursday 3/25/10
Susannah Livingston responded to my email, but here sister lives in Bethesda Maryland. I am not sure if I will pursue this contact because with my timeline I am not sure we will likely be able to set up a time to interview. I will try a possible phone interview with her. I assume there will be other employees that may be willing to interview with me if I just go down to some of the taverns and ask.
Spent some time reading an article about the new coffee house in the online version of the CW Journal: Winter 10. Just skimmed through past issues of the journal looking for interesting articles in regards to the Taverns or restoration; found article on Tavern Music in winter 03-04—interesting sound clipping along with it. Found a great article entitled: “Sampling 18th Century Fare at Shields Taverns” by Mary Miley Theobald in the winter 1992-93 edition.
Friday 3/26/10
Nothing
Saturday 3/27/10
Gathered information from the Rockefeller Library digital research center online.
Lots and lots of information on this site: it was a little overwhelming and difficult to sort out what I wanted to spend time on and what I needed to just breeze through. There seems like there is so much on my topic that I am having a hard time narrowing and focusing my hypothesis and ideas.
There was this digital map (called the eWillimasburg Project) tool that had information on all of the buildings (including the taverns). It broke it down into categories of research documents listed as: “Historical”, “Archaeological”, and “Architectural”. There was A LOT of information for each, and so I only got through Shield’s Tavern. I hope to explore this site much more in depth over the following weeks for each tavern. I feel like it’s this gold mine for information about my topic!
Sunday 3/28/10
Nothing
Plans:
1. Need to get a folder/box to organize all of my research
2. Need to look at Frank Clark’s interview on Dspace from last year (see if there is anything I want to continue with a possible follow up interview)
3. Need to actually visit the taverns and see if any employees are interested in interviewing with me
4. Need to contact Sarah Livingston via phone to set up possible phone interview
5. Either stop by Chef’s Kitchen to introduce myself to John Gonzales and/or get his contact information from Professor Knight.

3 Responses to “Work Journal #2, 3/29/2010”

1. 1 iaknig March 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Good work, Elizabeth. Isn’t your focus (and I can understand why you feel like you’re losing it a little) something like: How do the taverns use food and food service to “interpret”/(re)present the colonial past? How do scholarly and built, material understandings/representations of the past interact with contemporary notions/expectations of the restaurant in the material–but in the senses of comestible, constumed and performed as much as (or more than) the architectural–space of the tavern?

I’ve e-mailed you Kathryn Bailey’s report from last year (I’m pretty sure I already did that–but just in case…) and her bibliography (which I didn’t realize she had as a separate document). I also have a bunch of scans of menus–mostly just from last year, though I think there may be one or two older ones–which I can give you if you bring in your USB key.

2. 2 sgglos March 31, 2010 at 11:34 am

Stay tuned for tavern contacts – I’m gathering some names for you…

3. 3 iaknig April 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

I’m not sure I can reconstruct how I found this link (I was searching for the Colonial Williamsburg corporate archives, I know that), but it could be a treasure trove for you:

http://www.history.org/Almanack/life/trades/tradefood.cfm