Record of my proposed Communal Interview Questions

Barry Trott Interview: I framed my interview questions within a few topics that I want to focus on, and I may alter some questions a bit depending on what Barry says in Andy’s portion of the interview.

Topic 1: Definition of “local”- what it means to be a “local”/ “local” musician in Williamsburg, and what region(s) does “Williamsburg” encompass?

• (Andy asked about your involvement in the local musical community), would you consider yourself to be a “local” Williamsburg artist?
    • Would you identify yourself as a “Williamsburg” musician?
  • What qualifies someone as a “local” musician?
    • Do you have to reside in Williamsburg? Or just have to have community ties? Or perform in Williamsburg?
    • (For instance, one of your band members, I believe, lives in Richmond- is he still considered a “local” musician? Why or why not?)

Topic 2: Dynamics of the music community, or community of musicians, in Williamsburg- how they network/interact/communicate

(*Pay attention to his response to Andy’s question asking about the communities/networks he belongs to, and also about his involvement in the local musical community)

• I am interested in learning more about the community of musicians in Williamsburg. Would you like to share anything about your relationships/experience with other “long-term” or “local” Williamsburg musicians?
    • Have you gotten to know other artists who perform/reside in the Williamsburg area?
    • Is there much interaction/communication between musicians?

Topic 3: Changes he has experienced- he has been in contact with the area of Williamsburg for a considerable period of time- I want to ask about what musical changes he has experienced

(*Did he mention any musical changes I want to ask a follow up Q about when he responded to Andy’s question about changes in venues?)

• Has the nature of performances or the communal aspect of musical performance and sharing music changed throughout your experience in Williamsburg?
  • How has the Williamsburg community and being here influenced your musical style?
    • (Could ask about how the band started and music experiences in college; could inquire about the Friends of Appalachian Music Ensemble.)

*May want to ask him about how he feels about the music “scenes” or lack of “scenes” in Williamsburg throughout the years?

*There were several other topics I wanted to cover or delve into further… but if this goes well and he is willing and interested, perhaps we can do a follow-up interview later on this semester! I am also looking forward to seeing his band, the Runaway String Band, play tomorrow night at Squires Everyday Gourmet!!

More information at:

http://www.runawaystringband.com/

http://www.squiresgourmet.com/