Transcription

The transcription process went much faster than I was expecting it to.  My computer has play and pause buttons right above the keyboard, so it was easy to start and stop the recording.  The main challenge for me was trying to decipher certain words or strings of words that the interviewee was saying.  It sounded like a mumble to me so I typed words that I could pick out, but then I would write “mumble” in parenthesis to show the loss of the dialogue.  Sometimes the interviewee was saying the name of a place and I could not understand what he said, and because I am not from Virginia I could not even guess a city or place.  I tried to show his accent when he said the word ” ’bout” for about and   ” ’em” for them.  I also included “uh” and “um” and tried to show pauses with the “…”.  I realize after transcribing that it is important to make an effort to speak clearly and not too fast so words do not slur together.

1 Response to “Transcription”

1. 1 sgglos February 25, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Yes, it is difficult to transcribe when you don’t have the local knowledge to help fill in the names of places, etc. Had you been present at the actual interview, you could have asked the narrator to clarify, or spell proper names. In lieu of that, you could always do a little research to help fill in those blanks.