Research Journal

I haven’t posted in three weeks. I realize that means that these are probably all 0’s, but I still think it’s important that I post them.

Monday 4/13
Received an email from Jake and responded.

Jake,

No news from JM Randalls at all. Ugh.

Yeah definitely I want in on The Spot. I’ll put the questions at the end of this email.

I’m a little peeved about the Corner Pocket. I’m not going to talk to them because they seem weird about smoking.

Thank you!

Maya Horowitz

Sorry, I know there’s a lot…

1. Do you or have you ever smoked?
2. Do you have respiratory problems?
3. Do you frequent restaurants in which smoking is permitted?
4. Do you prefer going to these types of restaurants?
5. How do you feel about people smoking around you/ you smoking around people?
6. Have you heard of Virginia Senate Bill 1105 and Virginia House Bill 1703, which disallow smoking in restaurants, except in separately-ventilated rooms starting December 1, 2009?
7. How do you feel about this new law?
8. How do you think it will affect you and Williamsburg as a whole?
8. Do you feel that the goverment should be allowed to dictate smoking policy?
9. Do you feel there is a difference between smoking around people who are eating and smoking around people who are eating?
10. How much of a problem do you think secondhand smoke is?
11. How do you feel about thirdhand smoke? If you have not heard of it, here is a quick definition: “‘Third-hand smoke is tobacco smoke contamination that remains after the cigarette has been extinguished,’” says Jonathan Winickoff, a pediatrician at the Dana–Farber/Harvard Cancer Center in Boston and author of a study on the new phenomenon published in the journal Pediatrics.” (taken from http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-third-hand-smoke)
12. Why do you think people smoke in restaurants?

—- Original message —-
>Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:02:13 -0400
>From: Jacob Charron
>Subject: JM Randall’s, The Spot
>To: Maya Horowitz
>
> Hey Maya,
>
> Any news from the people at JM Randall’s? Want me
> to call and try to schedule something with them?
>
> Also, I’m going to call The Spot today. Would you
> be interested in asking them any questions?
>
> Let me know,
>
> Jake

I’m feeling a little more optimistic. This will make three actual interviews and I already have a lot of print sources. Once I finish the Gormley transcript, I would like to start putting my paper together.

When I signed on to post my research journal, the site told me that “1 comments could not be processed by Defensio.” I’m not sure what this means. I waited an hour and it didn’t finish processing…

Tuesday 4/14 – Saturday 4/18
Went home to Fairfax, VA for mental health reasons. Did not do any work related to any of my classes.

Sunday 4/19
Completed small assignment 4.

Monday 4/20
Went through and edited the materials I have collected so far, to keep them in line with the WDP guidelines (e.g. using brackets instead of parentheses in editorial notes, etc.).

Tuesday 4/21
Lab meeting. Signed the Deed of Gift for the Gormley interview.

Wendesday 4/22
Conducted a participant observation with Tom Mahakian, Emily Wilson and Jonathan Oh. My notes are below:

Tom: avoids smoking area; if he has a choice; would wait up to10 minutes to get a non-smoking table then go somewhere else

Emily: not preferable but acceptable; sometimes smoking can positively affect the environment at restaurant; traditional Cape Cod new england fare all smoking big bar = more authentic; old-timey; non-smoking = modern trend of health-consciouness

Jon: doesn’t even notice if people are smoking; maybe the section is isolated? doesn’t go out to eat

Jon: father smokes a pack a week, used to smoke a lot

Tom: grandfather smokes a lot

Emily: grandfather & uncle died of lung cancer

Jon: secondhand smoke is a myth; so little effect

Emily: doesn’t care about secondhand smoke

Tom: avoids smoke if he can; preachy

Jon: mom used to tell him to tell dad to smoke

don’t believe in thirdhand smoke

Jon: disrespectful if someone gives you something that smells like smoke

Em: “as far as I’m concerned its [secondhand smoke] not that bad” hasn’t been made aware of studies; the law is unnecessary

Tom & Jon: don’t eat out a lot; just wants sections to be far apart

Em: classy high-end = no smoking; depends on the image you want; government has the right to make these laws but she hesitates to say that because she doesn’t think the ban shouldn’t’ve been passed.

Tom: change your clothes if you smell; it’s like farting

Jon & Em: why would you want to smoke while eating?

Em: smoking enhances taste?

Jon: do it when you’re waiting for food

Em: nicotene eases appetite

Tom & Em: smoke for image in front of people

All: not a big deal to walk through people smoking

Tom: going outside to smoke is respectful

Em: taboo to tell smokers to stop

Tom: can tell someone to stop smoking if you’re in close quarters

Jon: it’s stupid to say mean things to people who are smoking; this law is probably doing what most people want- i’m assuming the greater public probably appreciates this law more than us as representative of the greater population of Virginia; kids

Em: kids and old people

Thursday 4/23
Watched Penn and Teller’s “Bullshit!: Second-Hand Smoke.”

Friday 4/24
Reviewed class readings, especially Portelli – needed some guidance.

Saturday 4/25 & Sunday 4/26
Spent an unnecessary amount of time worrying about this project and getting little to nothing done.

Monday 4/27
Sent an email to Gerry Walton, the assistant of Jackson Tuttle.

Dear Mr. Walton,

I’m sorry that I have taken so long to respond. Looking at the time stamp on the message, it’s been more than a month.

I was wondering if I could set up a meeting with Mr. Tuttle concerning smoking laws in the city of Williamsburg. The only time I have available for this is Thursday 4/30 before 1 pm. I understand that that is a very specific time and he is a busy man.

So, as an alternative, would he be willing to have me send him a list of questions to which he could respond? I think this is a good alternative for a few reasons: (1) It will take less time than an actual interview and (2) He can word everything exactly as he would like it to be on the record.

Anything he says is his property, so I will send or deliver a deed of gift, which he must sign for his words to go on the record. At any point, he can rescind the deed of gift. He can also selectively choose to take out parts, e.g. questions 2 & 3.

Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Maya Horowitz

Tuesday 4/28
Final lab meeting. Wrote a thank you note to the Gormleys.

Received an email from Mr. Walton.

Maya,
Please send me an email with your questions for Mr. Tuttle, and let me know when you need his responses. We will do our best to accommodate you.

Gerry Walton
Executive Assistant
Williamsburg City Manager’s Office
401 Lafayette Street
Williamsburg, VA 23185
(757) 220-6101/Fax 220-6107

Wednesday 4/29
Sent an email to Mr. Walton.

Dear Mr. Walton,

Enclosed is the list of questions for Mr. Tuttle. It would be best if I could receive the answers before 5/5.

I am also enclosing a small explanation of the greater project my questions are a part of. I am also enclosing a copy of the deed of gift, which I will deliver to your office. As aforementioned, Mr. Tuttle’s signature on the deed of gift ensures that the information he provides can be archived.

Another reminder: he does not have to answer any question he is uncomfortable with. Furthermore, if he answers a question and then finds in the future that he would like his words taken off the record, they will be immediately removed.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,
Maya Horowitz

List of questions included:
1. Can you tell me a little bit about your upbringing? Where you were born, notable places that you have lived?
2. Where did you attend college? Any higher education beyond that?
3. What was your family like? How many people lived in your childhood home? Any notable dynamics?
4. What is your family like now? Do you have children? Do you live near your relatives?
5. Do you (or anyone close to you) smoke?
6. Do you (or anyone close to you) have respiratory problems?
7. In your personal life, how do you feel about smoking?
8. Have you had any smoking experiences that have impacted your view on smoking?
9. How do you feel about your family’s (specifically your children’s and older members of your family’s) exposure to smoking?
12. In looking through the City Code of Williamsburg, I did not find any ordinances about smoking in restaurants (I looked through Article III). However, in he James City County Code there were a lot of laws concerning smoking and food. Does Williamsburg have laws about smoking? Do James City County laws supercede Williamsburg laws?
13. What is your opinion on Virginia Senate Bill 1105 and Virginia House Bill 1703, which disallow smoking in restaurants, except in separately-ventilated rooms starting December 1, 2009?
14. Do you feel that the government should dictate smoking policy?
15. How do you think the residents and tourists in Williamsburg will respond to the partial smoking ban?

Thursday 4/30
Began writing my final paper.

Friday 5/1
Sent my 1/3 of the Gormley transcript to Ash and Jake for compilation. Continued riting my paper.

Saturday 5/2
Wrote my autobiographical statement. Continued writing my paper.

Sunday 5/3
Received Jake’s 1/3 of the Gormley transcript; compiled it with my 1/3. Sent a reminder email to Mr. Walton. Continued writing my paper.