Journal 4/28/2009

This week was very frustrating on the interview front. I made three phone calls to Aroma’s, and left messages on both the owners’ personal answering machine and with an employee at the coffee shop. I also made follow up phone calls to The Spot and JM Randalls. The Spot does not have an answering machine, and there was no response each time I called. I left a message with an employee at JM Randall’s, and am optimistic that Mr. Randall will call back. Regardless, I plan on visiting both places on Thursday to talk with staff and try to procure an official interview. I also spoke to a friend who knows Samantha Greenwood, a business student who has worked on the marketing campaign for the Green Leafe Underground. He said he would ask her to respond to my emails.

On Friday, I indexed for Katie’s interview of the owner of Five Forks. The interview went well, and I think I may have gathered some useful information about Williamsburg demographics.

I read a lot more of Andy Bennet’s Music Scenes, which contains valuable information about many different cities, mostly of which are international. Many of the concepts can certainly be applied to Williamsburg. The notion that social and economic class may decide the extent to which a music scene exists is one I am eager to explore in my paper. In any interviews I manage to procure, I will certainly include a line of questioning addressing this issue.

For now, though, with no interviews secured, I am continuing to read academic literature on music scenes and venues. I am also using my personal experiences at Williamsburg venues as a reference to compare the current scene to that which is described in Kevin Leslie’s project and the information I have uncovered about Williamsburg music venues in the 1970’s and 80s.