Assignment #3

I was impressed by Katie’s transcription of our interview. She captured all of the um’s — which shows me how much I really do say “um” in conversation. I felt like my “voice” really came through since she stayed so close to what I actually said…I don’t feel like she cleaned anything up or ignored mistakes I made in my sentence structure, which I feel is a good thing in transcription. She did misspell the Koliopoulis family’s name, so I need to be sure to follow up on my own transcriptions and get proper noun spellings right. Finally, Katie included things such as [laughs] and [sighs] and [demonstrates] to explain the context behind what is being said, and I thought this was a very smart thing to do. Because of this, the reader will understand when there’s a part when I show Katie what a dog for sale looks like in China:  “I saw dog being hanged, like dog meat.  But like, I have a picture on my phone I think.  It’s like this dog and his head is like [demonstrates]. ” As embarassing as it is to find out that I tried to imitate a dead dog, I think Katie’s inclusion of the visual communication there was great.