Assignment 3/Research Journal

Jenna did a really thorough and accurate job transcribing my interview. I only came across one or two corrections. I think one of the things that struck me the most when rereading is that I realized I have a distinct speech pattern. I tend to start a sentence and then stop mid way with another one. I do this quite often throughout the interview. This really bothered me because I think it made me sound unintelligent. However, this is how I actually speak. Perhaps I will be more sentient of it in the future. I also noticed there were a few times that I cut Jenna off mid question. I suppose I was just really excited to provide my answers!

Conceptually, I think she accurately recorded the responses I was trying to convey. I don’t think there was much lost in translation. She included my “ums” which I also did when transcribing Tazewell’s interview. Although pauses seem natural in conversation, reading them kind of perturbed me. I would like to think I articulate better than what I read in the transcription.

Thursday, March 26th

One on one meeting with Professor Knight. AK answered questions regarding the direction of my project, specifically how to intertwine a personal ethnography notating experiences at the Leafe while including historical archival information.

30 minutes

Received an e-mail from Maya regarding coordinating our schedules for a Mr. Gormely meeting.

5 minutes

Went to the New Green Leafe for dinner to experience a wider variety of the menu.

1 hour

Friday, March 27th

Replied to Maya’s e-mail with detailed personal schedule to coordinate a joint interview. She indicated she would be in contact with Jake.

Received e-mail from Professor Knight regarding a contact he has who might be interested in providing an interview.

15 minutes

Monday, March 30th

Went to the Green Leafe. Briefly chatted with manager. He was not interested in providing an interview.

30 minutes

E-mailed with Jake and Maya. We have compiled our schedules to provide to Mr. Gormely to arrange our interview later this week.

15 minutes

Upcoming things this week:

1)      e-mail contact provided by Professor Knight

2)      Meeting with Mr. Gormely, and potentially Mrs. Gormely

3)      Interview with Green Leafe Bartender