Assignment #3

While reading through the transcript of my interview, I was mostly satisfied with the way my words were presented. There were a few instances, though, where something like “inaudible” was written in parentheses. This is interesting because it shows that I was, at times, incoherent in my responses. After the interview, though, I listened to the recording and did not notice that. I am sure, though, that while attempting to transcribe the interview, some incoherent sections became more noticeable. These “inaudible” sections made me realize that I actually do tend to quiet down and speak more slowly at the end of phrases, especially ones that I am struggling with.
There are also a couple instances in the transcript where it is not clear exactly what I am talking about, and I am curious as to whether or not something was omitted in the transcription. For example, at one point the transcript reads, “It doesn’t seem to be the case very much, for an acoustic open mic night which is for the college… I almost associate that with college only, not so much the community, I think.” Here, I am pretty sure I was discussing the Meridian Coffeehouse in some capacity, but nothing in the transcript indicates that. However, without listening to the recording, I do not know what I said there. For all I know, this could be completely accurate.
While reading the transcript I also discovered some things about my speech that surprised me. I used phrases that I never consciously used before. It is strange to read your own speech slowly and carefully and realize the things you naturally say. For example, I use the phrase “you know” very frequently in the interview. I was more worried about my constant “ums,” but I think Liz may have been forgiving in her transcribing when it came to that.