Practice Interview Reflections

I thoroughly enjoyed interviewing Sharon Scruggs. She is a delightful lady and a wealth of local knowledge. I am glad that her thoughts and opinions on life in Williamsburg will be recorded for future generations to enjoy. It would be criminal to let a community resource like Sharon languish in anonymity.

I was a little nervous coming into the interview with Sharon. This was mostly because I had never before interviewed someone in front of a group. In my past experiences conducting interviews, I was usually alone with the interviewee and could spend some time getting to know him or her before I began the structured portion of the interview. During the interview session with Sharon I felt pressure to be very rigid and formal because I knew my classmates were critiquing my questions as well as my questioning style. I felt obligated to ask Sharon questions that I do not think I would have asked if I was conducting a solo interview. I asked these questions anyway because I knew there were people out in the audience who wanted to hear questions pertaining to their research topics. The end result was a set of questions that I do not think I would have produced if I were being 100% true to my interviewing style.

An in-class practice interview for a seminar of fifteen people requires some artificial parameters, for example, strict time constraints for each interviewer. For the purposes of our class, I understand why the practice interviews have to be structured in this fashion. However, the artificiality of the process has made me realize that the way I connect with my interviewees is on a much more familiar and personal level than was allowed by our public practice interviews. Of course, there are limits to that statement (I would not interview a stranger the same way I would interview my grandmother) but in each individual case I work hard to develop a bond with my interviewee so that he or she knows I am interested in and am grateful for the information. In past interviews I believe I have been fairly successful in forging personal bonds with my interviewees. I am glad that we did our practice interviews in a stuffy, overcrowded room in front of an audience because it made me realize that a crucial ingredient in a successful interview is developing a rapport with your interviewee.

1 Response to “Practice Interview Reflections”

1. 1 iaknig February 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

It’s true that our practice sessions are highly–HIGHLY–artificial. Though “unusual” may be a better word, since a formal interview between two people who are brought together only for the purposes of the interview–no matter how conversational the interview becomes–is, I suppose, by definition “artificial.” One of the ideas of these practice interviews is to make more “normal” interviews of the sort of Lindsey talks about feel comparatively organic and easy.