Interview Response

I interviewed Barbara Carson on Tuesday. I did some preparation the night before and was pretty confident in my ability to keep the interview going as I went into class. I was the last person to interview Mrs. Carson, and as my classmates talked to her I became more and more impressed by her experience and confidence to the point that when it was my turn to interview her, I was completely intimidated by her. I went through my questions one by one, but I was so afraid of sounding stupid or obnoxious at any point in the interview. I kept thinking about the one transcript a classmate had mentioned where the interviewer made several blunders in followup questions and the interviewee laughed at her. I learned that I need to go into the interviews with much more confidence and perhaps be more concerned with getting information and creating a connection than the possibility of bugging the interviewee. I will probably be interviewing old Meridian staff members and perhaps even administration such as Mark Constantine, people that will be even more intimidating, so I definitely need to work on my confidence during interviews. I hope that the peer interview will be helpful for that.