Blog and final reflections May 4

In the fast 10 days or so Sarah and I have meet to sort through literature Barbara Watson gave to us concerning All Together. I looked through it taking notes to determine what was useful information for our paper. My focus was to know more about the organizations history and mission. I also wanted to find out more about the events that they have sponsered in the community.

I have been concerned with the possibility of not having enough material for the final project’ 20+ page report. I also want to investigate the ways that inclusiveness of a community can be measured. I discovered four ways to measure while doing some searches these last fews days. (1) availability of affordable housing (2) accessibility to relaible publoic transportation (3) adult education programs (esp. ESL) and (4) availability of public resources particualarly medical services.

I have interviewed a few people that could speak to these issues; Gloria Morales director of Network for Latino People on the medical services available, Aless Quintero on the ESL programs in Williamsburg and Miss Bess a black woman who lived in Rose’s for many years. I spent several hours looking up article in Daily Press on the closing of Tiago and on available housing in Williamsburg.

I also took some pictures of the former Tiago, which is now an empty lot for sale and the area that was Rose’s now is being redeveloped with houses($400,000 range) and townhouses ($300,000 range) .

I have also been thinking about a powerpoint for the final presentation.