Week of April 14

This week was admittedly one of my least active weeks, I’ve had a rough string of final papers to prepare for. My interview opportunity with Braxton Court fell through again as Mr. Braxton was out of town, but he e-mailed me this morning and said that he would try for this week, hopefully that will go alright. I’ll just copy my journal into this blog post.

Wednesday

– Searched through Daily Press archives
– Reviewed transcripts and indexes of WTP interviewee

Thursday

– Found interesting articles in the Daily Press Archive that will help my project. Here are the titles:

– THE ROAD TO EQUALITY FROM CLASSES TO MATERIALS, EDUCATIONAL INVESTMENT WAS UNEQUAL FOR BLACK CHILDREN
DAILY PRESS; Daily Press; May 2, 2004; pg. A.15;

– SEPARATE BUT NOT EQUAL THE RULING Series: Brown V. Board: 50 years later This is part of an occassional series on the landmark case.

– This one is particularly helpful for my project:
A SIMPLE ACT AGAINST SEGREGATION THREE NURSES HELD A CAFETERIA SIT- IN AT DIXIE HOSPITAL IN 1963

– WHITES ONLY’: SIT-INS YIELD CIVIL-RIGHTS VICTORY

– TRACING THE LONG ROAD TO BROWN

– IN BLACK AND WHITE WHEN NEWSPAPERS DISCUSSED BLACKS, CONDESCENSION WAS MASKED IN COMPLIMENTS Series: No Easy Journey | Understanding Our 50 Year Struggle For Justice And Education –
(Another particularly helpful series)

Friday and Saturday

Read Daily Press and my other secondary resources: “Migrating to the movies is a particularly helpful text in understanding black movie-going in urban–and perhaps suburban–America

Sunday
Nothing to report

Monday
Nothing new to report but this journal.

My final project will be an interesting blend revolving around the topic of race and spectatorship or race and the community. It seems to me that the process of desegregation is different for everyone, but it is often accelerated through integrated performance (tennis courts, move theaters) or public protest (itself a type of performance).

I am looking forward to finally getting my thoughts onto paper.

1 Response to “Week of April 14”

1. 1 Arthur Knight April 22, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Good work, Brian.