April 14 – 20, 2008

April 14 – 20, 2008

Monday
Went to Swem and checked out several books on golf course management. They’re terribly thick and I wonder how much it could really help at this point. It’s worth a shot

Tuesday
Researched in the Godwin for an hour. I found out that the Inn wanted to create a Golf Advisory Committee with four locals and one person representing the College. It seems to me that the College representative was just wishful thinking since I didn’t find anything else substantial afterwards. I also made a copy of a memo that explained the entire logic behind building the course and the true state of the Inn – they were going through some hard times and the golf course was to be a gimmick of sorts to get people to stay longer and spend more money. I’ll write about this in more detail in the final paper

Wednesday
Nothing to report

Thursday
Met with Prof. Knight to talk about a general direction for the paper.
Research at the Godwin for two hours and finished sorting through all the primary documents. It was a weird feeling to look at the huge stack of papers and realize that I had read every word in them.
I read several memos and articles talking about the opening of the golf course and its reception. It appeared to be a big hit, but had to close soon after for reseeding. The first few months seemed to be chaotic.

Friday
Hammer and I met for an hour to talk about the paper. I think I have a strong feel for the paper and know where to take it.

Saturday
Nothing to report

Sunday
Wrote three pages of the final paper. That took awhile.

1 Response to “April 14 – 20, 2008”

1. 1 Arthur Knight April 22, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Good work, Bobby. It’s an interesting feeling, isn’t it, to know that you have command over a body of material that no one else does–gratifying (I hope) but also a little daunting. It’s good that you’re developing your thoughts while your sense of this material is fresh.