4.16-4.21

Over the last week, Tim and I have accomplished a lot. Tuesday, April 16 we sat down with a William and Mary senior, Ashley Pinney, who grew up in Williamsburg. She was very easy to interview and had obviously thought about a lot of the topics with which we presented to her beforehand. It was very insightful in that she spoke about socioeconomically separated social groups and activities for youth around the city. Wednesday, April 17, we interviewed a freshman, Andrew Mearns asking him about the same topics and again he was very insightful. He also spoke to how he perceives the student population in Williamsburg versus being a city resident. Thursday, April Tim and I regrouped and discussed the two interviews, their intersections and diversions. That night, I was also fortunate to meet a William and Mary Police Officer named Nancy who overheard me talking about the WDP with friends and seemed very interested in sharing her experience. She told me she worked Thursdays and Sundays at the Library, but unfortunately I could not locate her last night. I plan to call the police station and make contact about a possible interview. Unfortunately Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 18-20, were not productive for me, but today, Tim and I sat down again to discuss exactly how we see our project being formed. We think we are going to contrast modern experiences with those from the archive. We are also going to discuss memory formation from a psychological perspective. We also contacted six other students over email that grew up here in Williamsburg. These names were given to us by Ashley Pinney and she seemed optimistic about their participation.

1 Response to “4.16-4.21”

1. 1 Arthur Knight April 22, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Good progress, Ellie. The idea of contrasting what you are finding out from your interviews with people your age with material you draw from the already existing archives makes good sense. And, especially in this context, your impulse to do some research on how memory works makes very good sense.