Map assignment

I am using the familiar folding street map by ADC and one that I found on-line called the Colonial Guide for this assignment. The ADC map also includes York and James City County. I am not able to trace all the boundaries for Williamsburg, the city, on this map. To the south the boundary is Route 199. I can find some of the northern boundary and to the east and west it doesn’t appear that the boundaries have been marked at all. I do note that very clearly the boundaries of the Colonial Williamsburg area can be seen because a bold colored broken line is used to designate the area and it can be easily seen. There is no doubt where this area begins and ends. They also include an enlarged inset map of Colonial Williamsburg and vicinity. This suggests to me that because this area is so well defined and easy to see on the map, that the Colonial Williamsburg and the vicinity are considered very important. This map also has an enlarged insert for Yorktown and the Colonial National Historic Park. The Map People make sure that this map is convenient for the tourist since it highlights all the tourist destinations by enlarging them. Also by clearly making the boundary of this area, and that it is almost in the center of the map also suggests to me that this area is considered the “heart” of Williamsburg. Some of the areas on this map are colored. Some areas are green, which according to the legend is a park a forest a recreational or wildlife area. These areas include to the west, Greensprings Plantation National Historic Site, Colonial Parkwayand to the north, Waller Mill Park. To the east is Water Country. Military, state or federal property is indicated by areas of gray. Hospital areas are colored in pink and include Eastern State Hospital and areas considered special property are in purple. Special property areas include, William and Mary and all other schools in the Williamsburg area, the Prime Outlets and Busch Industrial Park. There are symbols for marinas and boat ramps, a sail boat. An umbrella marks beaches and campsites and picnic areas are indicated by a tee- pee or a picnic table. There is also a symbol for swamps. This map also shows all the bodies of water in the area which to my surprise, are many. The ADC map is much more detailed and thorough than the other map and is one that I would keep with me especially if I was a new resident or a visitor to the area.
The other map that I used is a map that is more pleasing to the eye and “artsy”. The colors are pleasing and the map is made to look old, a little like a pirates map. It is a map that a person might frame and hang on a wall, whereas the other map has only a utilitarian look. The Colonial Guide map looks like an old work of art. To me this suggests that Williamsburg has a long history and may be trying to appeal to history buffs. This map however, shows no boundaries of the city of Williamsburg as they other map did. This map highlights all the shopping and entertainment areas in large red block letters. Clearly, these areas stand out and say “Notice me” on this map.
The Colonial Guide map is not as detailed, and does not include a legend. I usually use maps to find my way around an area so while the one map is appealing to my eye; it is otherwise useless to me. Both maps are for tourists since they highlight areas that are tourist destinations, entertainment and shopping.